Monday, May 2, 2011

Hello, My Name Is Liquid Courage

I adjusted my position on the couch, trying to keep as much of my modesty intact. Julia, Meg, Chelsea and I had come to Thailand for a holiday retreat and the hotel was throwing a New Year’s Eve beach party. Of course, Meg, Chelsea and Julia had insisted we go. I didn’t party but I figured since we were on holiday, I’d give it a go. They had dolled me up in the prettiest but littlest dress they could find and we were now sitting on one of the couches the hotel had set up on the beach. The flame torches dotted around the place provided hardly any light and the music was so loud, I could barely hear anything.

“Anyone else want another round? I’m gonna get another round,” Chelsea announced.

I watched as Julia and Meg immediately downed the rest of their drinks and enthusiastically agreed for another.

“Lisa?”Chelsea asked.

“Um, no, I’m good thanks. I’m not quite done with my drink yet,” I told her, taking another sip from my cocktail.

“Jules, come with me! There’re only so many drinks I can hold while walking in a relatively straight line,” Chelsea said, dragging Julia up with her.

“Lisa!” Meg suddenly burst, “Have you ever had a shot?”

“A what? Was it one of your drinks that I tried?”

“A shot! A shot of vodka!” I shook my head and she gasped. “Have mine,” she said, passing me a tiny glass with clear liquid in it.

“Oh, the glass is so cute!”

“Just down it in one go, really quickly,” Meg commanded. I looked at her and then to the glass before deciding to just give it go... and wow, did it burn. I could hear Meg laughing, probably at the expression on my face.

“Okay, I’m gonna go get another one,” she giggled, getting up. I picked up my glass, trying to wash away the burning sensation of the vodka with the sweetness of my cocktail.

“Can I get you a drink?” I heard from behind.

I turned around and came face to... chest. A very nice, broad chest followed by a set of amazing abs and... his face which did not follow but was further up. I felt my cheeks burn and I hoped he hadn’t noticed.

“I... uh...”

“Hi,” he cut me off. He smiled and all I could see was blond hair, blue eyes and white teeth. I took a long sip from my glass. Liquid courage, kick in now.

“Hi,” I said but it came out more of a hiccup.

“Can I get you a drink?” he asked again.

I took in the strong jaw and tanned, toned torso. Oh right, Hot Guy had asked me a question.

“Oh, no, that’s alright. I already have one. But thanks for offering!” I held up my drink to show him.

“Where are you from?” he asked casually, sitting down and draping his arm over my shoulder. How friendly!

“Australia,” I shouted over the music just to make sure he heard.

“Aren’t people from Australia usually really tanned? Cause you get a lot of sun there and all.”

“Yeah but I try to stay out of the sun cause it’s bad for your skin and all,” I giggled, “Too much exposure can lead to cancer which no one wants. I always wear sunscreen and a hat, sometimes even a long sleeved top, you know, just to be on the safe side. What about you?” I took a long sip of drink. Talking made me thirsty!

Hot Guy was silent for a moment. He must’ve not heard me properly over the music so I began to repeat myself.

“Um, yeah... I think my friend’s calling me so... I’ll be right back,” he suddenly said as he got up and left. It must have been something urgent since he left in such a hurry. Taking another sip of my drink, I realised my glass was empty. Damn, where was Chelsea? I wanted more liquid courage before Hot Guy got back.

---------------------------------------------------------

This piece is quite different to the ones I usually write. It's funny and light-hearted. Not something sad, depressing or angry. It was part of an assignment that I had to hand in about a month ago where we had to hand in two pieces. One was this and the other was Hourglass (the previous story I posted). Hourglass was pretty depressing and sad and I wanted to have something upbeat and fun to counter it so that I didn't seem like I could only write dark, moody pieces. I was a bit apprehensive about handing it in but my tutor seemed to like it so here it is :).

Hope it made you smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment